UK Tier 1 Investor Visa for

Medical Doctors or Dentists:

What is the Best Choice for You?

Sadly, UK Tier 1 Investor visa is now abolished. It is no longer possible to apply under this UK visa category. This blog post is left unaltered for historic purposes only.

You are a medical doctor and completed your medical training overseas. You want to join the medical profession in the UK. You are wondering whether you ought to short-cut the requirements of the Skilled Worker visa and apply for UK Tier 1 Investor visa instead.

Skilled Worker Visa Replaced Tier 2 Worker Visa

On the 1st January 2021, the Skilled Worker visa replaced Tier 2 Worker visa. The change is brought in to align the treatment of EU/EEA and Swiss nationals with that of the third country nationals.

The system is perceived as fair as it allows all individuals to apply to work in the UK and meet the same criteria.

The market test is now cancelled, which also means that prospective employers are no longer required to justify their foreign hire by stating that they could not find the right employees locally in the UK (the British Isles: England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland).

The Limitations of Tier 2 Worker Visa (Currently, Skilled Worker Visa) when Comparing to UK Tier 1 Investor Visa

If your intention is to join the professional workforce in the UK, such as, the NHS (National Health Service) in the UK, but not limited to this licenced employer alone; you have to have secured the job offer in the UK.

If you secure the job offer in the UK and your employer is the licenced sponsor, then the onus to help you meet UK immigration requirements and be issued a visa is on your employer.

The employer issues the Certificate of Sponsorship to the prospective employee. On this basis the prospective employee applies for their visa, which enables them and their family to enter, live and work in the UK (the British Isles: England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland).

Legal Restrictions Placed on the Medical Doctors and Dentists under Tier 1 Investor Visa

Unlike Skilled worker visa, Tier 1 Investor visa allows you to enter the UK on the obligation to invest. This may give some valuable time to find a work opportunity as a medical doctor or dentist.

The only restriction, which is placed on medical doctors and dentists who apply under Tier 1 Investor visa and secure their immigration status in the UK; you are not permitted to apply as a doctor or a dentist in training if your bachelors or masters degree qualification was not completed in the UK. The UK university in question ought to have had a valid sponsor licence to recruit students from overseas at the time of your education.

If you have completed your medical training overseas and not joining the NHS as a doctor or a dentist in training, then Tier 1 Investor visa may be a good option for you.

Easing into the Medical Profession in the UK

If you are following news about the UK, you may notice that the NHS is stretched and operating at a limited capacity. Newspaper headlines state that there is a shortage of doctors and NHS staff.

Notwithstanding, entering the medical profession in the UK is not as easy as some of the headlines would make us believe. After all, there is locally trained staff at some of the best universities worldwide in the UK. This is a public service and estimates of the required professionals are made.

Therefore, one should not be misled that joining the NHS as a doctor or a dentist will be easy. A lot of patience, preparation, foresight and correct approach is required.


Book a call with me to discuss your UK immigration application. Submit your UK immigration enquiry here if you need assistance with any UK immigration application.

You will be first guided to a payment page when you choose “book a call” option. After making the payment, you will be able to choose the most convenient date and time for our Zoom meeting. You can report a payment issue here.

Saule Voluckyte, M.A.E.S, LL.B, FAIA

I have been working exclusively with UHNWI in Mayfair, London since January 2008. I built specialist knowledge and expertise required to serve ultra high net worth individuals investing, operating and relocating to the UK or Switzerland.

Within the industry, I am the single adviser who is able to traverse the different areas of expertise and bring a comprehensive approach across: global structuring, UK immigration, international taxation and FOREX to develop their global wealth strategy, while they build, grow and expand their wealth worldwide.

Previous experience as one of the senior advisors for the government, made me a go-to person when delicate and uncomfortable scenarios involving heads of state need to be handled with care and preserve privacy.

Contact a family office specialist to discuss your needs.

As somebody who specializes in tax, wealth management of ultra high net worth individuals’ assets and legal requirements for high net worth families, my sole purpose is to help you protect your family’s legacy.

Should you have a specific enquiry on how to start your own family office, please book a call below.

If your specific enquiry is about how to invest, operate or relocate to the UK or Switzerland and you are looking to align your UK immigration, tax, overseas wealth concerns and benefit from favourable currency conversions and other bespoke services to UHNWI.

Submit your enquiry using this form

Visited 1 times, 1 visit(s) today
Share This