UK Tier 1 Investor Visa:

Travel to the UK with Your

Studying Child

Sadly, UK Tier 1 Investor visa is now abolished and it is no longer possible to apply. This blog post is left unaltered for historic purposes only.

UK Investor visa for doting mums and caring parents.

Your child is being educated in the best English schools. However, you continue to be concerned about their well-being. What choices do you have to stay close to them?

I often receive phone calls from concerned mums and in some instances from foreign Embassies or Family advisors who want to explore UK visa options for the parents to stay close to their children while they are being educated in the best British schools in the UK.

UK immigration law may be considerate and accommodate overseas parents whose children are under 12 years old and being educated in some best private schools in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

However, as much as the teenage children are concerned, the law is not as receptive. Parents are obviously concerned about the well-being of their children while they are far away from home at such a tender age and still in need of parental care and supervision.

Often parents and caring mums express themselves as wanting to buy a home to stay with their child, enrol in some of the best private schools, wait for them to come home, make food for them on the daily basis, ask about their day and coursework and simply spend quality couple of years until their children transform into adults and crave more independence.

This idyllic expectation cannot be further from the truth.

Yes, the government will issue the visa for the child, but not for a doting mum or a caring parent.

In these circumstances, not everything is lost. Wealthy families may apply for Tier 1 Investor visa in the UK.

How does the UK Investor visa work – can you apply together with your child?

Yes.  Tier 1 Investor visa covers the main applicant and their family members. 

In the scenarios when there is no commitment to live extensively in the UK throughout the year in the UK, it is possible for one of the adults to apply together with their children who are going to be schooled in the UK.

When there is no intention for the whole family to apply because of business commitments and numerous projects taking place in their home country or overseas, it is possible for one of the parents to apply together with their children.

It is a frequent decision for the breadwinner of the family to continue to remain overseas until they are ready to relocate and join their family in the UK.

How long the child is perceived as a dependent for Tier 1 Investor visa purposes?

The child as a dependent may apply under the Tier 1 Investor visa together with their parents when they are under 18 years old.

Once the child becomes 18 years old, the adult child is expected to apply and meet Tier 1 Investor visa requirements in their own right. See:  UK Tier 1 Investor Visa for Students – 3 Reasons it is the most Popular Choice

Here are the benefits for your child to enter the UK under the Tier 1 Investor visa:

  • Studying in the UK – ability to choose the university of their choice freely (even the ones that do not have the sponsor licence to recruit foreign students);
  • Working in the UK – ability to choose an employer freely, the employer does not need to have the sponsor licence to employ your child);
  • Earning long-term residence rights in order to remain in the UK long-term;
  • Fast Tracking to British citizenship;
  • Completing UK immigration requirements in the shortest amount of time possible (in 2, 3 or 5 years).

Explore our blog posts on Tier 1 Investor visa:

5 Signs That the UK Investor Visa is the Right Choice for You

Relocating to the UK under Tier 1 Investor visa: 3 Important Considerations

7 Alternatives to Tier 1 Investor visa UK immigration route

Tier 1 Investor visa: mainland UK or explore Guernsey and Jersey

UK Investor visa for European (EU/EEA/Swiss) nationals


Book a call with me to discuss your Global Wealth Strategy as you invest operate or relocate to the UK or Switzerland. You may submit your enquiry here.

Book a call with me to discuss your UK immigration application. Submit your UK immigration enquiry here if you need assistance with any UK immigration application.

You will be first guided to a payment page when you choose “book a call” option. After making the payment, you will be able to choose the most convenient date and time for our Zoom meeting. You can report a payment issue here.

Saule Voluckyte, M.A.E.S, LL.B, FAIA

I have been working exclusively with UHNWI in Mayfair, London since January 2008. I built specialist knowledge and expertise required to serve ultra high net worth individuals investing, operating and relocating to the UK or Switzerland.

Within the industry, I am the single adviser who is able to traverse the different areas of expertise and bring a comprehensive approach across: global structuring, UK immigration, international taxation and FOREX to develop their global wealth strategy, while they build, grow and expand their wealth worldwide.

Previous experience as one of the senior advisors for the government, made me a go-to person when delicate and uncomfortable scenarios involving heads of state need to be handled with care and preserve privacy.

Contact a family office specialist to discuss your needs.

As somebody who specializes in tax, wealth management of ultra high net worth individuals’ assets and legal requirements for high net worth families, my sole purpose is to help you protect your family’s legacy.

Should you have a specific enquiry on how to start your own family office, please book a call below.

If your specific enquiry is about how to invest, operate or relocate to the UK or Switzerland and you are looking to align your UK immigration, tax, overseas wealth concerns and benefit from favourable currency conversions and other bespoke services to UHNWI.

Submit your enquiry using this form

Visited 1 times, 1 visit(s) today
Share This